Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Shopping for Clothing

What a fabulous day!  It was one of those days that you will you could have more often except that you would probably end up totally broke.  My cousin took me shopping today and it was so incredibly fun.  That girl has an eye like you wouldn't believe and she helped me immensely.  I've determined that when I go shopping for clothing, I need to go with other people.   If I go by myself I get far too overwhelmed and I am always in desperate need for someone else's opinion as I don't trust my own.  Not when it comes to anything fashion related.  It wasn't more than two seconds after we walked into Marshalls when I became totally overwhelmed but I followed her and begin looking for potentials.

I explained to her that I can buy dresses super easy but creating an outfit out of separates is too much for me.  She just told to me to pick out individual pieces right now and that we'd create the outfits after.  So that what I did.  Or rather I tried to, anyway.  At a certain point I had one top and she had about ten in her hands.  However, we got a carriage and within a few minutes even I found myself pulling things off that rack.  It was actually cool because I quickly realized that it was okay to pick out things that I didn't know how to make into an outfit but I liked as an individual piece because that was what she was there for; to make it work.

After we picked out numerous tops, like an entire carriage full, we went over to the dressing room to try things on and on my we found so many good things.  We eliminated the ones that just didn't work and then went looking for bottoms and basically did the same thing. Guys, I found so many awesome things that by the time I was done trying on all the bottoms I had to edit so as to not spend slightly more than a small fortune.  Finally, when we had what I was going to buy we went back into the fitting rooms so she could show me how to make outfits out them.  So tonight, I am the proud new owner of so many clothes!

Between my bridal shower gift of lots and lots of clothing for Hawaii and the shopping that was done today I feel like I have a wardrobe that I'm actually excited to wear.  I tried on all of the clothing from the bridal shower that Jamie, her mom, and my mother purchased for me and talk about getting some fantastic outfits from them.  It's incredibly cool that Jamie and her mom were able to channel me so well and buy me clothing that not only fits me wonderfully but that I also love.  This makes me so incredibly happy and excited, I can't even begin to describe it.

Thinking about it, I realized that I actually did have quite a few reasons for why I hated buying clothing.  For one, I never knew what to choose or how to actually shop for clothing.  That was huge as many times I would buy something only to never wear it or hate it later.  Clothing was also always so expensive to me too that I felt that I would need to spend an entire paycheck just buying one or two outfits which always discouraged me from buying things.  Finally, I always felt like I didn't have a definitive style for myself.   Over time and particularly today I feel like I'm moving past the first two issues.

 I feel like I'm learned a bit how to shop or at least what's necessary for me if I do want to go out and buy clothing (a.k.a bring people to help me).  In addition, shopping for clothing doesn't have to cost you a fortune.  Most of the things I got today I got for $10 on clearance at Marshalls.  In fact, I don't think I spent more than $25 for any of the clothing I purchased today and I bought a whole lot.  Sure, I did spend more today than I would want to on a random shopping trip but the plethora of outfits I got today (yes, they can all mix and match too--double amazing) cost me about the same as buying two super cute dresses at Anthropologie.  So really, it feels like a wash.   If I update my wardrobe at the end of each season to get the best deals it wouldn't cost me nearly as much as it did to actually purchase a wardrobe today and I won't feel so guilty when that occasion really expensive piece comes along.

Now I just need to get myself some accessories and shoes.  Gosh, I feel like an actual girl.  Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment