Sunday, August 14, 2011

Making Progress

The invitation are finally done!  When I first started thinking about wedding planning, I pinned a quote that I must have unpinned after that said, "I spent thirty seconds looking at the invitation you spent three hours on."   My hope was that we wouldn't go crazy on the details like that but we totally did.  At first they were just going to be simple but then they were way too simple and I couldn't deal with that so then they slowly but surely became more and more DIY.  What they say about DIY projects is totally true by the way: think about how long you think it would take to create ___, and then double it.  All in all though I'm really glad we took the time to do them ourselves.   We both equally worked on them and that makes me super happy.  This could be entirely wrong but I believe that how a couple interacts as they plan their wedding is a reflection of the marriage to come.  Obviously I don't really know if there is any validity to that as I am not married yet and have not been close enough with any couple to see how the wedding planning process went and how it compared to their marriage but yeah, I've lost my train of thought. 

Also, I've written out the "Thank You" notes for everyone who gave me something at the shower.  Unfortunately I don't have the actual cards so I'll have to copy what I wrote today in the cards which may seem like a lot of work but this is me we are talking about.  Whenever I have to write in a card, I always write it elsewhere because I would waste so many cards since I hate making any kind of mistakes and also end up wanting to rearrange the sentences for the final product.  Writing "thank you" notes are way too important to do willy nilly.  People took the time to do something for you and I think it requires a bit of your time to say thank you.  Also, I need to remember that when I go to copy it onto the cards that I should start with the last person's I wrote as I was exhausted by the end of it and my writing clearly shows this so I'll be more inclined to fix it when the time comes to copy it.  

So we got some of the big things done for the wedding but we still have so much to do that it's kind of overwhelming.  I did send the e-mail I've been meaning to send to our venue so that we can schedule a time for us to meet and hopefully a date/time for the rehearsal dinner.  I also have a hair trial appointment booked and I am going to steal my mother's nail appointment to wax my arms.   Yes, I think I am going to do it.  Jamie, don't tell your mom because I know she'll totally disagree with this idea.  I know I should accept myself the way I am but I don't know.  My sister is going to do it too.  There's a part of me that's nervous about it.  That feels like I'm compromising and succumbing to taunts of former schoolmates and societal pressures but people do this all the time.  It's the reason we shave our legs and put make up on.  So yes, I'm giving in to vanity and I plan to talk with my therapist about it tomorrow.  

On a total opposite note from vanity, my grandmother is doing much better and is out of the hospital, thank goodness.  My mom took her to go see the Sound of Music today and she said that her outlook is just as awesome as always.  Apparently she told my mom that she is just going to go live her life from here on in and not wait around her apartment in case she starts bleeding again.  How awesome is she?  I love her so much and I really hope that I will not only have her mind at her age but also her attitude.  She's just such an incredible person.   

No comments:

Post a Comment