Friday, August 12, 2011

Maybe not allergies

Well, I think I might have actually figured out my issue with my allergies. It actually might not be allergies at all.  My constant runny nose, sneezing, congestion, and everything miserable may actually be due to non-allergy Rhinitis.  How did I come to this conclusion?  While at work today, it began all over again.  I started sneezing, my nose starting dripping like crazy and it was like I was never treated.  So I began wondering, "what did I do that was different?"  At first, I thought it was alcohol (which incidentally can contribute to non-allergy rhinitis) but it doesn't didn't seem like enough.  Then I remembered that in addition to my drinking yesterday I was also exposed to smoke.  Smoke from the grill that we cooked on yesterday totally blew into my face.

I then thought back.  On July 24, 2011 I went over to Aimee's where there was a cookout and a campfire that we roasted marshmallows on.  It was the next day that I mentioned how awful my allergies were and within a week I had given in and forced myself to go to the doctor.  This episode is very similar as I was exposed to smoke and now am a complete mess.  However, this time I do have a prescription for Rhinocort.  Of course, it wasn't covered by my insurance and I had to pay $138 for it but at least I have it.

According to Mayoclinic.com, non-allergy rhinitis "occurs when blood vessels in your nose expand (dilate), filling the nasal lining with blood and fluid. There are several possible causes of this abnormal expansion of the blood vessels or inflammation in the nose. But, whatever the trigger, the result is the same — swollen nasal membranes and congestion."  When I was given the shot at the doctor's it lessened the swelling and made me feel better.  Hopefully this time the Rhinocort, a corticosteroid nasal spray, will have the same desired effect. If not, it will be another $115 to get another shot up the ass which will totally suck.  Also, I will be avoiding all smoke.  


It's irritating and it really needs to stop but I guess it's better than wondering what the hell I'm allergic to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment