Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Going to the Doctors!

There are moments that I long to go back to the way things used to do be done.  Today I had one of those moments as I dragged myself out of bed to go to the doctors.  There used to be a time that the doctor went to you rather than expected you to go to him (her).  I must say that I feel like that is a far better arrangement at times.  Granted, when one is in need of an x-ray, blood-work, a potential crash cart, or surgery it is necessary for them to go to the doctor's office as these medical advances are not exactly portable nor would you really want them to be.

However, I'm not exactly referring to the extreme cases.  In fact, the majority of general practitioners and family doctors rarely have that kind of medical equipment in their practice and normally send you elsewhere for those services.  With that in mind, it seems somewhat silly that sick people should drive to the doctor than the other way around.  Trust me, driving to the doctor with a fever of 102.3 is not my idea of a good time; not to mention dangerous.

When one has a fever like that and is unable to lift her head from her pillow, it seems almost unfair that they are expected to get to the doctors office.  From somewhere the expectation is that she should get out of bed, possibly shovel out her car (as many of these fevers always tend to occur just after a snow storm), drive the ten to twenty minutes to the doctors, try to sit in those uncomfortable chairs until the doctor is finally ready to see you.  At this point, they ask a few questions about your symptoms, shine a light in your eyes, ears, nose, and throat, maybe run a couple of test before finally giving you a diagnosis.

If you're lucky, the doctor might determine that you do in fact have an infection, write you out a prescription, and tell you to go to the pharmacy to get it fill as soon as possible.  After you then drag yourself to the pharmacy and begin taking the medication you may be able to expect to feel better with a couple of days.  If you're unlucky, however, your diagnosis may only be that you have a virus and the best they can give you is "go home, rest, drink lots of fluids, etc."  It's moments like this when all I can say is "seriously?  I came all the way out here for you to tell me I should have stayed in bed and had some juice?"

How much better off would we be if the doctor were able to make that kind of diagnosis in your own home?  People would be safer and those who are sick might possibly heal faster without having to exert all the extra energy.  Not to mention the whole going into a giant waiting room full of sick people when you're only feeling slightly under the weather.  Really, what better way to become sicker than by surrounding yourself with sicker people than you?  The whole things seems entirely backwards.  I get that to switch it back today would be impossible.  Still, I look for the old days that never actually existed during my lifetime.

Anyway, I'm done with that tirade.  On to a new one!  So I went to the doctor today for reasons totally unrelated to the complaining above.  Unfortunately do to the lack of insurance all I got was a shot in the ass.  Still that has seemed to help a bit.  I'm really hoping that it will be enough to get me through the next two months.  Regardless I'm pretty sure that Dave schedule me another appointment for the beginning of September to do the allergy testing and possibly the x-ray and blood-work that I wasn't able to get today.  When I left the doctor's office I felt very uncomfortable.  Though I am feeling better than I had been so the shot in the ass was a good one at least.  Well, I think I'm done ranting now.  Sorry for the irritated rant fest!

No comments:

Post a Comment