Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The projects

So Dave and I have already gone up and down the first drop of what I'm thinking is expecting to quite the roller coaster.  We went to visit a place that I initially thought was too expensive and Dave really wanted to see as it was located in Boston and it did look nice.  Needless to say, walking up to the place it was going to be a really tough sell.  The area around it was a bit sketchtastic too so that didn't help matters.  However, then we walked in and it was more than I could of hoped for.  We actually got to see the apartment that we would be moving into and I really, really liked it.

The amenities were the usual.  The apartment was a good size (quite a large size for Boston and the price), great closests, nice bathroom, laundry on the same floor, trash shoot, and a really nice complex in general.  Of course, add the fact that the train station is two blocks away, the grocery store another two blocks away, garage parking   for one of our cars, and the Boston waterfront literally right down the street.  The more expensive apartments actually quite a beautiful view of the harbor; we don't get that though.  We get a great view of a dilapidated building but it's got a lot of light.  By the end I was actually sold and I never expected it.  I actually left thinking, "okay, this place has certainly got it's flaws.  The surrounding community is bit lower income but that never bothered me."  

I've always kind of rolled my eyes when people immediately looked down on area because of it's income.  In fact, it really annoys me when someone says, "oh God, you lived there!  Or no way, you really don't want to live there; it's totally the ghetto."  I get that there is often more crime in an area that has lower income but not always. Sometimes I think that people who've always lived in middle class areas are very quick to discard any place lower than them.  Almost as if it makes them feel better about their place in the economic infrastructure.  Okay, I get that I'm the one being super judgmental right but it's always been such a pet peeve of mine. 

 It's something I've just heard throughout my life, "You live in Haverhill? Oh, I'm sorry."  Or "he's from Lawrence... really?"  Yes, my ex was from Lawrence but his being from Lawrence had absolutely nothing to do  with the fact that he was an asshole.  He would have done everything he did to me had he been from Lexington or Andover.  What's ironic about that whole situation was that I felt safer on the streets of Lawrence than I did when I was "safe" in the house with him.   

Anyway, so this apartment that I spent the majority of the day really psyched about; well it turns out that ten years ago, it was actually the projects.  My mother called me after I got home from work and told me.  Honestly because I did see the area, it didn't surprise me entirely.  Of course, in the past ten years, they've totally redone the place.  I might even say that I thought it was luxurious but now of course, there's that knowledge.  Do we want to move to the sketchy area that was once and still is the projects?  Do I want to hear the questions and the objections?  What if something does happen to me while I live there?  Then it will just be a giant "I told you so" and my entire opinion about everything I just said could change.  I like seeing the best in people and places.  Not to judge based on income or any other external factor.  I don't want that to change. 

So now I'm confused again and that's super frustrating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment