Monday, September 5, 2011

Positive experiences, positive post

Such a good day today!  My parents, my grandmother, Laura, Ben, Dave's mom, Dave, Jamie, Katie, Jared, and me all got together in a room rented at Laura and Ben's apartment complex to get crafty.  I knew we were going to need some extra help but we got such an incredible response that it was almost like we didn't have enough to do!  What would have taken Dave and me a whole day full of painting and gluing took the entire group of us no more than 2 hours.  2 hours is an over exaggeration  as it had to take much less than that.  My mother, sister, grandmother, Jamie, Dave, Dave's mom and me all tackled the painting.  Katie and Jared managed the gluing all the centerpieces and my father and Ben ran all the errands.

Of course, people individually shared their skills in their own ways:  Jamie spent far more than two hours painting the numbers on our little pumpkin table numbers, Katie figure out a way to make our twelve magnets almost double in use, Jared played centerpiece surgeon when a couple were maimed on the way to the car.  Overall, it was a huge team effort and it was so much fun.  Though we finished super early, we spent a few more hours chatting and laughing and having a good overall time.  It was one of those days that I felt super lucky to have such great people in my life. 

I must say, planning this wedding has really shown me how great the people in our life are.  Jamie wrote a blog article earlier about how difficult it is to express the good, happy moments and feelings.  It's so easily to be open and expressive about pain and melancholy but it's not the same with joy.  As she far more eloquently put it, "It’s harder to crystallize joy, and part of you doesn’t even want to: capturing something that ephemeral feels as though you might accidentally crush it."  She's right about that though.  I don't know about anyone else but writing about my pain is like a purging of it from my soul.  I don't want to purge my happiness though.  I want to keep it, cling to it, embrace it fully, because I know it won't last. 

Based on that logic though, wouldn't it be better to put it down on paper all the more?  These happy moments are so difficult to remember during the more troubling times and it might be more helpful to read about them.  So I think that will be one of my future goals; trying to figure out how to post my positive feelings as I feel them.  I just hope it's a challenge I can succeed at it.

1 comment:

  1. I got quoted, I feel famous! :D <3333

    I, too, am trying to be better about writing about my happy things - they're good to look back on and read over again when you're sad, at least.

    So much love for youuu!

    ReplyDelete