Sunday, September 11, 2011

My first attempt at describing happiness

Our wedding is three weeks from today!  How did that happen?  Even our bachelor/bachelorrette parties are now over.   I haven't had a chance to talk to Dave much since I've gotten back to work, my nose was all running, and my throat (as well as his) really scratchy, and more inclined to just zone out for a bit.  Sadly "a bit" at 11:30 means that by the time I get my bearings, he's on the way to bed. Despite our lack of talking, it appears that his night last night was just as fun as mine.  They took a ton of photos so he was showing them to me before he went to bed.  All but one of his friends were able to make it and I'm so glad.

The two of us are so lucky that we are surrounded by such wonderful people in our lives.  I can't speak to his night last night or how he feels about his friends (though I know he agrees with me); however, I can speak for mine.  While I was in the midst of my party I wrote last night's post, it was very hard to focus on writing. My mind was with my friends and yes, they will be more important than writing here.  This blog has been here with me for the past couple of months but they've been with me for years.  They are so important to me and they threw me such a great party that I can't even begin to describe it.

However, my recent goal was to attempt express my happiness.  Last night talking and laughing with my friends felt better than wrapping myself up in a warm blanket with a cup of hot coco on a cold winter's night.  The comfort and warmth that one feels when surrounded by friends from both high school and college who know you so well and have been through so much with you is one of the most treasured within my collection of joyful emotions.  Everyone has such busy lives; one of the biggest downsides of being an adult but each one of them made time out of their weekend to spend several hours with me celebrating my impending marriage.

Many of them are married themselves and it was like I was able to connect with them in a whole new way.  The best part is that not all of them are married; many of us are in various stages of singledom.  I'm about to get married; there are hints and whispers of a possible engagement for my sister, Beth is in a serious relationship with a great guy and has been for a while,  Jamie is still relishing the enchantment of a new love that was once old, Lauren is very much into her boyfriend but is trying to negotiate her future dreams with her present joys afraid to become too attached, and Alli who is embarking on a new journey of freedom as she has recently found not only the strength but the means to break away from her not so healthy relationship.   My married friends also have a bit of that variety with Angie about to celebrate her seven year anniversary and Sam whose been married not much longer than a year.

Such different stages and experiences made such delight conversation.  It wasn't all about weddings, marriages, and love lives.  I'd even argue that it was only the initial jumping off point for far more varied topics to be discussed.  Katie with the help of many of my bridesmaids planned many activities and games but we hardly needed them which I feel kind of bad about because I know so much thought was put into the planning of them.   Sipping a creamsicle tasting alcoholic beverages and moving through the beginning stages of drunkeness and back again my love for each of them felt like it was bursting out of my skin.  I wanted to envelope each of my friends with that love and rejoice in each of their life stages both the good and the bad parts.

How does one express her gratitude for such magnificent people?  Saying even the most sincere thank you and giving a giant hug just doesn't seem to cut it.  They deserve so much more and I hope that one day I'll be able to return a reciprocal sentiment to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment