Monday, January 23, 2012

Self-made billionaires

I'm writing now because I don't particularly want to and I doubt that will change in 40 or 60 minutes.  While I'm at work, I think of all the things I want to do once I get home.  Then I come home and I either don't remember half of them or don't feel like doing it.  I end up just sitting on the computer looking at Pinterest and sometimes Facebook.  The next night I'm at work and I remember all of the things I want to do.  I'm in that position now.  I was talking to Dave and I was thinking about the things I wanted to look up or research.  Then I sat down on the couch and I no longer remembered any of it.  So I've decided to write while watching a 20/20 special on Billionaires.

They just mentioned that most self-made billionaires are risk takers who know how to respond to failure. Just those two characteristics made me realize that my road to being a self made billionaire will be practically impossible.  I'm am not a risk taker and I definitely do not handle failure very well.  Of course, I have no real desire is to be a billionaire at all; however, I have a very strong desire to be self-made financially independent.  I want to be able to retire comfortably and I want to not have to worry about money in my life.

Right now, I'm watching a woman who buys failing companies and restructures them to profitable empires.  She is not what you would think of as a billionaire.  Her clothing is very provocative and she embodies what one might describe as trashy.  She is the second businesswoman who isn't afraid to "be a woman" I've heard of in the past two days.  Yesterday on NPR, they were interviewing a woman who is an extremely successful entrepreneur who is one of the judges on the show Shark Tank.  When asked what it was like to be a women in an industry of men she said that she used it as a good thing.  She said that she used to always wear mini-skirts and red power suits because she knew that it was important to be remembered and she didn't care if she was remembered as "the woman" or the "slut" or whatever name she might be called.  She said that men need to work so much harder to be remembered.  

"Successful people do all the things all unsuccessful people don't want to do." That's a quote from the man who launched the Paul Mitchell hair line.  He talked about how you may go to 50 doors and have 50 doors slammed in your face.  However, it is extremely important to be just as enthusiastic on door 51 as door 1.  I personally believe that.  So yeah, I guess I'm really need to continue to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment