Saturday, June 30, 2012

I can't fix idiocy

What a night. During the first half of my shift at work I had all this energy.  I was excited, motivated, and feeling good then around 6:30 things seemed to go downhill.  Suddenly I was counting the minutes left even though I had more than two hours left.  About a half hour before I was supposed to leave, I received this call from this super cantankerous women who was super upset because she couldn't log into the credit card website.  We had already reset her four times.  Brittany, out of frustration, actually changed her password to the name of the company thinking that she wouldn't be able to mistype that but of course you can never underestimate one's stupidity.  As I went through the process of resetting her for the fifth time she yelled at me.  When I asked to her enter it in now and see what the message was she said she couldn't because she was driving.   Seriously?  We're available 24 hours a day, you can't call when you are actually at your computer?   How do you expect us to help you.   She continued to go on and on.

Finally, I was fed up and I couldn't contain myself.   It probably sounded super condescending but I don't care.  I told her that yes, this was the fifth time we had to reset her but that it's absolutely impossible for us to help her beyond resetting her password if she wasn't at her computer.   I actually said, "if this doesn't work this time, you need to call us from your computer so that we can see what's going on exactly.  I'm documenting our conversation.  If this doesn't work and we are able to determine that everything is okay on our end, you will need to escalate this to your company's authorizing officers (normally they're the bosses) and have them call us so that we can try to work out an alternative for you specifically."  My coworkers seemed to get a kick out of it.   I hung up the phone with a "I can fix idiocy" exclamation and we bonded over past discussion with this lady.   There's a part of me that does hope she calls in because I would love to explain to her bosses what's going on and have them log in for her.   Normally I can understand it if the person is older.  She is under forty (I don't remember exactly what year she was born but I always check that when dealing with computer issues).

Hopefully I didn't sound as annoyed as I felt because I don't want to get in trouble but really sometimes I just lose patience with these people.  Thank goodness that by the time I hung up with her I only had a few minutes left to my shift.  

No comments:

Post a Comment