Tuesday, June 19, 2012

5 minutes

Despite the altogether difficult day that I had today, I experienced a moment worth noting this evening.  Normally, I hate basketball not ever understanding the nuance of the game.  However, the NBA finals brings Dave to me in a way that I can't help but appreciate.  He says that he's willing to watch movies with me but deep down I always feel like he's doing that for me.  I believe that he feels that I'm getting unhappy with all him gaming and decides to humor me by watching a movie.  He states that this isn't true but when that happens or when he suggests it I can't help but feel a bit guilty.  That I'm taking him away from the activity he really wants to enjoy because I'm not willing to partake in that activity myself.

Unlike many couples who may battle over the remote, he gives me full control so long as I give him the time and space for him to play his games.  During these basketball games though, he comes back.   He waits until I've finished whatever I was watching and then plops down on the couch next to me.  Taking the remote, he changes the channel to the basketball game (something I would never be interested in watching on my own) and settles in.  Knowing that he is with me for the game alone makes me feel more relaxed.  He's not doing it just for me but for himself as well.  So yes, I've found myself enjoying these basketball games and may even find myself sad once they are over.

Anyway, tonight we were snuggled together under a blanket.  He was watching the game and I was reading my book enjoying the feel of him next to me and listening to his moans and emotional proclamations at the television.  At some point I looked up at him and I thought, "I really like this guy."  It was as if we had only just met or were long time friends and I was just realizing how much I liked him.  The way one might feel when she discovers a crush.  Of course, I expressed that to him and he stated that he liked me too.  I was joyful and happy like I would be as if we were in the beginning stages of a relationship.  Normally, upon that kind of expression one considers the potential the relationship has and that was when I realized that we were already married!  It was truly an awesome experience for me.

I don't know if I've fully explained it or if anyone actually understands.  Obviously, Dave and I have been together for years and been married for almost a year.  It's not like I forgot that or that I stopped loving him only to rediscover it later.  I've loved him every moment we've been married and find myself thanking the heavens, thanking God, for blessing me with such a terrific man.  There was just something about tonight's moment on the couch that made the relationship feel brand new.  Maybe it was because of the overly emotional day or the fact that we are going away together shortly.  Maybe not.  It was special though and I found myself wanting to "capture" it.

No comments:

Post a Comment