Friday, June 1, 2012

Assumptions

We had tickets to go see John Williams and the Boston Pops tonight at the Boston Symphony Orchestra.  The concert was called Film Night.  When we saw it advertised a few months ago during the Final Fantasy concert I practically jumped out of my skin.  The John Williams who provided the emotional soundtrack to some of the most popular movies was going to be playing some of those scores live in my home city.  As soon as we got home we bought the tickets and I began looking forward to it.  We loved the Final Fantasy concert and were super excited to see this one.

To hear the music from Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Superman, ET, Jaws, Star Wars, not to mention the countless others that he composed the music for seemed too good to be true.  And sadly it was.  Now, I know all about what can happen when you make assumptions.  Even logical assumptions like thinking that a John William's concert entitled "Film Night" would showcase music from the more than 100 films he worked on obviously would make me seem like a silly fool.  It was John Williams but the concert was more of a tribute to the United States with songs from the Olympics, Hollywood Westerns, and a read aloud of William Faulkner's The Reivers.

This would have been totally fine if I hadn't been looking forward to live music from some of those great movie soundtracks.  It was like waking up on Christmas morning excited for toys and receiving only socks.  I don't remember being so excited for something and so disappointment since my parents drove me more than an hour away to some collector's fair to buy beanie babies on my birthday when I younger.  I just couldn't enjoy it the way I wanted to though there were some cool parts.  Still, I felt misled and I was irritated.  Not to mention that the seating was awful as well.

Luckily I was with Dave and we were determined to not let it get us down and we had a great night regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment