Thursday, June 23, 2011

Time... how many times to I use that word in this post.

As I write this post I am sitting next to Dave watching a Discovery Science show on the concept of time.  We've spent the last two hours watching episodes on blackholes and whether the universe is infinite or finite.  I absolutely adore these shows on scientific theory or philosophy.  For me these questions excite and fascinate me.   There is a part of me that loves not having all the answers.   Of course, I cannot actually watch this show and write at the same time.  I keep having to stop and I write during the commercial breaks that Dave tries fast forward since we prerecorded it with our DVR.  This show on time is what got me interested in having a Science show night.  I love contemplating the idea of time.  Is time an illusion that humans construct to make sense of this world?  Or is time real? It's something that Dave and I have spent hours contemplating and debated.

Are the past, present, and future all occurring once?  Is time really just snapshots of moments that exist in static motion and it's our brains that are translating it into motion?  It's cool that there are equations of physics that appear to debate both points.  Of course, then there is the whole question: Why is there time?   Really, watching these shows give us more questions than answers but that's never been something I minded.  I like contemplating the unknown.  I'm a thinker that way.  It's part of the reason I have such anxiety.  There was a quote from the show that we are watching that states,  "Sometimes when you say 'what ifs' you realize that making that hypothetical leap really helps us with all these problems we are having.  Others times it just gets you in a mess."  I couldn't agree more.   I honestly don't know if I've made any sense because there are so many theories jumping around and I'm trying to write about them at the same time I process them.   But yeah, that's my post for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment