Sunday, June 26, 2011

This could be a good future post...

Naps are the best things.  Last night I got all of an hour and a half of sleep.  I went to sleep fine but was awake at 3:30 in the morning and just couldn't get back to sleep.   It wasn't as terrible as it sounds as it wasn't like I laid there staring at the clock; I think I did drift in and out of sleep between 3:30 and 6:30 but it wasn't a sound sleep at all.  Work went fine despite the lack of sleep and afterward Dave and I drove to Malden to take a look at a tiny plot of land with the tiniest house that was on sale for $109,000 before I crashed and took a very pleasant nap.  Though neither of us were actually intending on purchasing it; we couldn't resist taking the drive over.  Did the little place have a ton of potential? Yes, it most definitely did!  Do either of us have any experience or even minor skills related to construction or fixing up a home?  Absolutely not!  Sure it's only $109,000 but we're pretty sure the house is condemned and making the land livable would probably cost three or four times the amount that it initially costs.  For first time buyers who have really no inclination or need to buy a home yet, it's not worth the effort or the investment.

On our little excursion, we found this little urban pond and we spent some time walking around it.  I thoroughly enjoy urban centers and I love urban parks.  There are many people who would disagree with me saying that cities and their surrounding urban areas are crowded, dirty, and lacking all things to do with nature.   I see their point and city living is definitely not for everyone.  Like everything there are certain advantages and disadvantages.  There are many benefits to living in a more rural or suburban area and you can do things like have your own gardens and backyards to do with what you please.  However, I'm really optimistic about the urban green movement where cities are working to become more environmentally conscious.  Many times this includes meeting LEED requirements, making cities easily navigated by walking or public transit, and even includes things like buildings producing their own fruits and vegetables using top floor greenhouses.  It's a novel idea and one that I vastly support.  Boston isn't anywhere near there but there are signs that we are beginning to think about it. Sure, this is a super tiny step as it will actually only assist fifty to seventy people (hardly worth noting in some opinions) but for me it provides that glimmer of hope.  Perhaps we are heading in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment