Friday, June 10, 2011

How can you ask for help when you don't need it?

Since writing about Katie's wedding, I've felt the need to really think about the details of my wedding.  Really I just need to do a bit more thinking about the wedding in general.  A couple of my bridesmaids have asked me, "How can I help?  I want to help, what can I do?  I feel like I'm not involved as much as I'd like to be..."  and things of that nature.  I feel really badly because I don't really have an answer for them.  Is it because I just haven't thought about it enough?  Sure I still have a ton of the smaller details to figure out, but I don't know.  I don't want my friends and family to feel like they aren't being included but as of right now, I really haven't needed anything.  I thought that I maybe I'd need help with invitations, but Dave has taken it on and is really enjoying it.  We're keeping it very simple and I'm really glad that he's so involved.  

I remember when I was the maid of honor wanting to do everything I could to help her.  I enjoyed being with her when she tried on dresses and helping her with the invitations or just being a listening ear at times.  Sometimes I feel badly because so far my bridesmaids haven't really had the chance to be involved in such a way and I want them to be.  Maybe it's just my entire outlook on the wedding as a whole.  The actually wedding isn't a big deal to me.  For me it's the bigger deal is actually the whole idea of getting married.  Personally, I don't really care that much about the details.  I appreciate the details and I am a firm believer that the magic is in the details but it's just not that important to me.  Despite what I've heard to the contrary, I haven't found myself super stressed by this process with the need to vent.  

Maybe it's the whole dealing with my other issues that makes the wedding planning not seem so massive to me.  I want to be a healthy, happy, sane person and wife and that's my focus right now.  Is that why I've just sort of let the wedding planning happen as it happens?  Really, how can I help make my bridesmaids feel more involved?  I don't want anyone to feel like they are being left out of this really happy time in my life or that I don't need them because I totally do.  I just haven't needed them to do anything.  This is the first time I've really sat down and asked myself this question and it's a really important one.  What I'm afraid of is falling into old habits saying, "No, I'm good. No, I'm good" right now but them being like, "OMG! I need help!!!" come August and September.   There's also that part of me that feels like I'm burdening others.  I'm not one to ask for help normally.  I'm a do it all myself (or in this case, do it all with just me and Dave) kind of person so it's really hard to me involve others.  

Anyway, because most of my bridesmaid read this I want you to know that it's not you, it's me.  As I sit down and think of more of the details, I can almost promise that I'll need help or people to bounce ideas off of.  I love you all and I hope to involve you soon.   

No comments:

Post a Comment