Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Okay, I'm going to bang this out. Yes, I'm a one note pony and I totally messed up that cliche but whatever.  Just after I wrote that sentence, I switched tabs to check out other things.  Distracted much?  Anyway, I hope that everyone had a nice Memorial Day and that most people got today off.  My sympathies to those who didn't.  I've felt that pain and I'll feel it again this Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.

This morning was wonderful waking up to Dave next to me with no real concrete plans for the day.  It seems so simple but it's something we haven't shared in a while. With my working Sundays and him working like a regular person, it only leaves Saturday and we always have something planned.  Today though was different.  We slept in and with no rush to wake up just snuggled for a bit.  When we did get out of bed, we did the laundry, the dishes, played some tennis, and promptly got into a fight.

He was inconsiderate and I completely overreacted.  Though he said he was sorry, he couldn't placate me and made it clear that he thought I was being ridiculous causing the whole thing to explode again.  When he told me I was acting like a twelve year old I stormed out of the apartment to pick up my prescription.  Part of me intended to just drive around until he called with a more sincere apology but it was hot, my AC didn't seem to be giving me everything it had, and I found myself just feeling depressed so I went home.  He did apologize far more sincerely but it didn't seem to have the affect I was hoping for.  I still felt super depressed. So I did what I do best: I went back bed for a nap.

It worked.  When I woke up I felt loads better and refreshed.  It also helped that Dave went to the store, made some chocolate chip cookies from scratch and bought me two of my favorite cheeses.  Eating a bit of the raw cookie dough seemed to make everything better and I apologized too for overreacting.  By the time we got in the car to pick up my grandmother for a Memorial Day cookout at my parents it was like it never happened.

My grandmother never ceases to impress me.  She independent, smart, witty, and just plain awesome.     She may be in her eighties now but you would never know it.  The best part is that she is so open minded.  It's like you can talk to her about anything and that's so cool.   I'm really glad she was able to join us today.  It was a beautiful day and we had a great time.  We even managed to get to home at a reasonable hour which is good since I have an 8am dentist appointment.  Let's not talk about how much I'm looking forward to that.  Ugh.   That said, I should head to bed.  Wish me luck tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment