Sunday, May 13, 2012

Accomplishments and luck

Good news!  We paid off the student loan with the largest interest rate today.  It certainly wasn't the largest one we had but it was definitely costing us the most to pay back so I'm happy about that.  I wish we had it in our power to pay them all off this year but I need to be satisfied with the fact that we'll be paying back about half of them (so long as nothing terrible happens).  Truth is, though we are saving a good bit, we could totally be so much better.  I know people think that we are super frugal and don't necessary understand how we can tolerate this tiny basement apartment and what not but both Dave and I feel that we are totally living in the lap of luxury.

We're really quite lucky.  I personally think this apartment is just right.  I mean, would we really be much happier if we had a nicer window or better kitchen?  I don't believe so.   Sure, our bathroom is a bit small but I have a bathtub that I soak in regularly.  We turn on the heat or the air conditioning when we need to without worrying that we won't be able to afford it when the bill arrives.  Personally, I think it's great that we even have the A.C; not many New Englanders have that because of the expense.  Also, we never worry about going out to eat or buying that one item that we might want.  Are we rolling in the money?  Of course not.   Are we poor or living paycheck to paycheck?  No, and that's a lot to be said today.  There are so many struggling and we were just able to pay back one of the many debts we owe.

Yes, I'm very proud of us.  We did and continue to make a few sacrifices to allow us to these moments.  However, I have to say, though logically I know we've made the concessions I don't really feel like we have.   I don't find myself longing for more or for something bigger.  If we can be lucky enough to continue living like this, I think we'd be very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment