Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad!

Happy Birthday Dad! Although my dad is not the biggest fan of reading, I do think he reads this so I can give him a shout out here.  I didn't make it home today to wish him a happy birthday in person which I feel badly about but I'm planning to visit him on Sunday after work to celebrate.  It's weird, this year my parents are exactly double the age I'll be in November.  I learned that in Canada on a Niagara Falls trip one year.  There's some formula that I can't remember now that I thought was cool when I first saw it and then realized just how logical it was.  So, that's the random tidbit for the day. 

Anyway, my dad is super awesome.  It's amazing how much you appreciate your parents as you get older.  I mean, I loved and respected my father a great deal when I was a teenager but we certainly didn't always see eye to eye.  I'm really grateful that over the years I've grown closer to him and would count him as a good friend who also happens to be my dad.  What's also great is the change in him as he too sees my sister and I in a similar light.  Sure, he is still our parent but he's not actively parenting us the way he used to when we were younger.  I think he views us more as actual adults entirely capable of making our own choices and leading our own lives.  He's now able to act like a friend in our lives as well.  

Okay, I hope that wasn't too long dad.  I know you'd rather not read so I'm not going to go on forever.  I love you and thank you for being the bestest dad ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment