Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Gifts

Got my physical completed.  I'm officially okay to begin an exercise regime.  Is it weird that I asked her that?  Ah well.  I can't say I'm not medically cleared so I'll need a different excuse.   Laziness is still the top contender.   Speaking of laziness, I also got some lab work done to see if there may be a physical cause to my excessive amounts of sleep.   Personally, I think that it's all in my head but I wanted double check just to be sure.   I really like the practice that I go to and am thinking about switching just about everything I can to there.  I want to do further research of the ObGyns.  Since Katie's pregnancy, she's got me thinking about all the different ways there are to go about giving birth and I would like to be with a doctors who's affiliated with a hospital that is open to more than one way of doing things.   At least, that way, if or when I do get pregnant I'll feel more confident in who I'm with than only just beginning to question it.

Officially ordered the rest of the mother's day gifts and it's going to get here before then.  Way for me to plan ahead.   Now, just to wrap what I have for Katie and try to give it a little something special.   Buying for babies/parents-to-be is a whole new frontier in the world of gift giving.  Having never had a baby myself and not being close to anyone who's recently given birth, I feel lost.  I'm also not one who's actively planning for when I have my children so it leaves me totally clueless.  Katie is kind of my first real venture into this new world of adulthood.  She was the pioneer on the wedding front too.  I kind of feel badly that I'm learning the ropes through her.  She's getting the worst of me as I try to muddle through it for the first time.  After her wedding, planning a bridal shower and assisting other potential brides became so much easier; however, she got the wide-eyed, ambivalent girl trying to plan hers.  It's similar here.  I know I'm going to end up being so much more creative when it comes to others having children but  poor Katie is getting that raw, unwise person.  

Dave's going to read this and think that I'm being too hard on myself again but it's not that.  It's more that Katie is incredible at these kinds of things.  That girl knows how to plan a party, give gifts, walk with someone as they travel into a new part of their lives.  I can't even begin to convey all of the amazingly creative and awesome parties and gifts she's given me.  Also, if it were me giving birth first, she still know all about the industry and what's helpful, presumptuous, or unnecessary.  She would walk next to me, researching and guiding me in whatever way she could if it was me.  I, on the other hand, feel like I'm running to catch up tripping over myself when attempting to assist probably causing more problems than helping.   I want to be on my A-game with Katie because she means so much to me and I always feel like she drew the short end of the stick.  

Maybe I can make up for it with hours of babysitting?  Hopefully?

To add to this, our friend Beth possesses exactly what I'm looking for.  Having never been married herself or had a child, that girl has already planned the weddings of many of her friends and has this adorable collection of amazing baby ideas.   So no, the fact that it hasn't happened to me yet isn't really a justification; I'm just very egocentric and wish that I wasn't so I could be as helpful to Katie as she is to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment