Sunday, April 3, 2011

Weekend babble

Guess what?  I am way too tired to write tonight. Exhaustion does not breed creativity.  Well it might but I'm not really trying.  My goal is to wake up tomorrow at a reasonable hour but I'm slightly nervous because I only got about two hours of sleep last night.  It's times like this when I remember that I am not in college anymore.  There were times that I could write papers and feel this tired or take a twenty minute power nap if I was desperate.  Today, I seemed to have forgotten how to power nap.  Seriously, all of my naps now are at least forty minutes.

Please feel free to skip this post because I'm just going to babble on about nothing.  This weekend ended up making me very happy and I'll be honest, I had plans that made me slightly nervous.  But all went well and I feel like I got the chance to actually carry conversations with ghosts from the past.  So yay for that.  Today, at work I troubleshot a decline after an hour of research which made me feel like I had completed some weird Excel, DOS, and Falcon treasure hunt.  When my coworker walked in we rejoiced in the fact that both of us this weekend were able to master the unnecessary arduous task of figure out why a transaction declined.

I also got a call from some guy insisting to speak to the IT department.  When I asked what he wanted to discuss thinking it might be the website or something that one might think our IT department would handle, I was told that I wouldn't be able to understand it.  When I pressed, he began to explain how the paper statement has two perforated pages; one to to pay his bill and the another that contained his purchases..  He spoke this slowly as if I wouldn't be able to follow him and continued to go on about how shreds the top sheet that is meant to pay the bill because he pays it online.  Again he made another pause to make sure I was following him and only continue when I gave my assurance that I was understanding what he was saying.

Finally he said that the second page contained valuable information that he would like to file away but that the information on the bottom of the page should be on the top.  He told me that this backward statement made it very difficult for him to file his statements and that he had spent the past eight months dealing with it but figured he would call to see if anything could be done.  When I told him that I would explain the situation he must of heard me thinking, "seriously?  You are really calling me about this?" in my tone of voice because he then apologized if he was condescending.  I will admit, I greatly appreciated his apology but I couldn't help but marvel at the fact that this was something he thought was going to be too complex for my meager customer service brain.  I sent an e-mail to my supervisors because, hey maybe we can just turn the paper around or something.

After work, I spent literally six hours at Barnes and Noble reading a book on personal finance.  It contained a lot of information I've already read but it was still enjoyable.  I also figure that if I keep reading about investing, eventually it will actually begin to mean something to me.  A large part of me wants to take a class on investments so I can feel fully confident about the differences between 401K, IRAs, Roth IRAs, mutual funds, and all that jazz.  I really am interested in learning an understanding how it all works but I feel like whenever anyway tries to explain it, the information just bounces of my super thick skull and only minor pieces of the puzzle stick.  Nevertheless, I am confident that I will get it at some point.  It's just a matter of time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment