Monday, April 18, 2011

Financial Responsibility

While working out tonight, I watched a couple of Frontline episodes on the credit card industry and the recession.  It helps remind me that although I strongly dislike my job and feel like it doesn't quite suit me, I'm lucky I actually have a job.  There are so many people that are out of work and struggling.  Walking into work I was feeling really down thinking, "I'm a year and a half past my mid twenties with a college degree working at an entry level customer service position along with others who graduated from high school."  It was depressing to think about how behind I am for my age but watching something like this I remember what's important.  It's important that I am making enough money to pay for my bills and there is still hope that there will be a turn around.  There are so many people who are in worse shape.

It makes me so sad though to know that so many people are destitute and it doesn't seem fair.  These people are hard working individuals who didn't deserve to lose their jobs. Watching these people struggle to keep their homes and pay back their debt really puts things back into perspective.  One of the bigger things that it reminded me was how important paying down our debt is... I learned a couple of weeks ago that declaring bankruptcy does not cover student loans.  Not that we are anywhere close to that point, most of our debt is in student loans so even the worst case scenario like bankruptcy does not absolve us of that debt.  That's intense and not a place I ever want to find myself or anyone I care about.  

With that said, I've talked with a couple of friends who have filed in the past and they said that though they wish they learned from filing before filing, they are happy that it happened.  This terrible economy is like that too.  In many ways, the best thing that happened was that I couldn't find a great job that I loved and paid well just out of college.  This challenge to make ends meet otherwise teaches one about the value of a dollar and I'm glad this is a lesson I learned now before I saddled myself with more credit card debt, mortgage, student loans, and had a family to support.  Learning the same lesson then is so much more painful and the healing process so much more arduous.  

Despite my goal to tighten my budget, I don't believe in not living.  There are times when a haircut is necessary.  It's okay to eat out every now and then (though Dave and I do it far too frequently).  If you really want to do something and it doesn't put you further into debt meaning that you don't have to take out a loan or place it on a credit card because you actually can't afford it, then one should do it.  There's always the horrible chance that one may not get the opportunity to live and therefore we should enjoy life while we have it.  Maybe it means redefining what brings enjoyment.  Maybe one doesn't need the mini mansion to live in or the high end luxury vehicle to drive.  Another may prefer not to travel as often or go out as much.  

In the end, we define what makes us happy.  Maybe owning a home with many rooms and bathrooms fulfills one type of person or couple.  They may enjoy using their vacation time from work lounging around and enjoying their space.  Travelling may not be that high of a priority and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Another person who must commute long distances to work or drive their car frequently as part of their job may want a luxury vehicle as that's where they spend quite a long period of time each day.  For everyone, it's different.  For me, I enjoy actually going on a vacation when I have the days accrued.  Traveling is a very high priority for me; therefore, I don't mind a smaller apartment or driving a car normally driven by old people because I got an amazing deal on it.  

My long term goal is to continue to find new ways to live more economically but not stifle myself entirely.  Sure, engaging in zero activity outside of basic living expenses is an option that would definitely pay down my debt far more quickly.  However, for me so long as Dave and I are living below our means, are able to pay our bills, save regularly, and have a small financial cushion if something unexpected happens then you will find me at a moving theater or taking a small trip somewhere.  If anything changes and we are unable to live by those definitions then maybe not, but for right now living a financially responsible life is he practical goal and so far something we are achieving.  I am aware that it could change at any moment and if it does then we may have to change our approach but for now, we're extremely lucky to both be employed and have the opportunity for us to indulge in life's extra pleasures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment