Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Small Successes

I've had a really decent week so far regarding my health habits.  I feel like I've been sleeping better or rather I've finally accepted my sleeping patterns as something I can make work for me.   I've also been really good about tracking my food, meeting but not exceeding my point values, and making sure to spread my food intake throughout the day rather than just at the end of the day before bed. I've also made sure to find at least an hour everyday to actually get some exercise accomplished.  I'll admit, I've felt hungry over the course of this week but that could just be because I used to eat whenever I wanted to or was bored.

It's interesting how our bodies handle these healthier changes by feeling hungry and sore all the time.  Almost as if it doesn't want us to be healthier.  I get it though.  Our society has evolved to the point where accessing our food is easy and our definitions of success can be accomplished with far more sedentary activities.  We humans, however, have not evolved.  There is still the ever looming threat we will not always find food so easily be it from some horrific natural disaster, war, or societal collapse and our bodies want us to be prepared for that.  As we evolved, those whose bodies were able to store fat that could be converted to energy during times when food was downright challenging to come by survived while those who couldn't didn't.   Cravings and enjoyment of high calorie foods were also part of that evolutionary process.  It was vital that we took in as many calories as possible because there was a time when we weren't sure when the next meal might come.

As a result, it is a constant battle with our bodies to lose the excess weight that we've gained.  They fight us because they are still in the dark ages and honestly it's not a horrible thing because I don't think we've evolved enough as a society to prevent another dark age.   It just makes gaining weight so easy and losing weight so much harder.  So in a way, our bodies are conspiring against us but we'll appreciate that feature if (god forbid) the worst happens.  Well that was an interesting tirade I didn't quite expect to go on.  Funny where I allow my writing to go.

Speaking of writing, so far I've stuck to my guns!  I've written everyday for 102 days.  This post will be my 103!  Please allow me to pat myself on the back for that.  I feel incredibly proud of myself and I'm excited to continue.  Yes, my writing is far from quality works of art but that wasn't what I desired (though I would love it to be).  I'm just so happy that I'm following through and that even when I'm tired or really don't feel like writing, I sit down and bust something out.  Who knows, maybe my future children will find even my crappy writings as some sort of window to their mother's life before them. If either of my parents had done this  I'd totally want to read what they wrote when they were my age.   Would I find it illuminating?  Shocking that some of the things that they thought back then are totally different than what they portrayed to us.  My dad used to write my mother love letters and what I wouldn't give to read them as he didn't stay that young romantic lover.  Of course, my kids reading this totally depends on the internet not crashing and deleting everything and having it somehow stick around that long.

I don't know, today just seemed like a good day to mention my small successes.  Goodness knows, it's a welcome relief to all the twentysomething angst.

No comments:

Post a Comment