Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Healthy Choices

Phew!  I'm tired tonight and it's not 2am!  Although this makes me really happy and content, it does not inspire me to write anything that poetic or anything at all actually.  So small talk:  Oh my! If you are in the Boston area, did you go outside today?  It was absolutely gorgeous and so incredibly refreshing!  We've had a few cool, rainy days recently and I'm really anticipating the warm weather too much.  The earlier bout of beautifulness was a tease and it's just made so much more anxious for the days when I can wear short sleeves without a sweater and be comfortable.

In other news I spent quite a lot of time today getting my exercise on and looking for inspirational photos online.  So far, I've found a couple but my Inspiration board on Pinterest is just not quite where I want it to be just yet.  The hunt thus continues but every little bit helps, right?   Also, Katie introduced me to Sparkpeople some time ago and I think this might be a decent platform to move to from Weight Watchers.  Not that I dislike Weight Watchers.  Quite the contrary.  Though I can't say I'm a notorious "dieter" by nature, both times that I've attempted to lost weight with Weight Watchers, I have lost the weight.  The program works and it works well.  It's also one of the more healthier diets that are out there because it's one that can be incorporated into a lifestyle.   It's my personal opinion that the best tools are the ones that change your food choices rather than the ones that eliminate food groups or force you to only buy their food to guarantee success.  Sure, Weight Watchers has it's own brand of food but I don't have to just eat that to see results.

However, despite the success we've found with Weight Watchers, it's quite draining on our wallets.  We cannot continue to shell out $40 a month for each of us for the rest of our lives.  That's $720 a year and let's face it: there are a lot of things we could buy and places we could go with that money.  Sparkpeople seem to be a relatively similar type of thing except that it's free and you count calories rather than points.  My biggest issue with the site is just that it's so busy.  You click on it and you feel overwhelmed and bombarded by articles and so many features.  It's a healthy living social network on crack.  Normally, I prefer my tools to be a bit more simplistic and streamlined but maybe I just haven't navigated the site long enough yet to figure out it's nooks and crannies to get it to work for me.  What it does have is a place where you can log what you eat and when you exercise and that's what I need.  The Wii fit Body Test does the similar job of tracking how much we gain/loose so it gives us the accountability we need.   The combination will probably work out well.

Today was my first real day actually using Sparkpeople, so I'll probably write more about it at a later date. Let's just see how it works out for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment