Saturday, November 19, 2011

Goo Goo Dolls Concert!

So happy I don't have to work tomorrow morning!!  We had such a great time at the concert.  There were a few moments where I thought, "is this worth it?"  After arriving super early, we stood around talking for a couple of hours and by the time the opening show came on my feet were killing me and it was horrifically hot.  I did enjoy the opening act because the lead singer was decent but the entire band embody everything completely cliche about rock stars so I laughed more than normal.

It then took another half hour or forty five minutes before the Goo Goo Dolls came on stage and it only got warmer and more claustrophobic with each passing minute.  The most annoying aspect of this was that every minute that went by, these giant men seemed to creep their way forward toward the stage.  To secure our spot, we couldn't move and it became more difficult to talk among each other.  This only increased my feelings of claustrophobia which was interesting as I'm not the type that feels claustrophobic often.  Every year, I got to the 4th of July in Boston and don't feel it at all but there was something about this that just made me really uncomfortable.

So during that time standing around, I thought about it.  What I came to was that if I can't see the sky then I'm more inclined to feel the claustrophobia.  It's part of the reason I avoid malls at Christmastime.  Every time I walk into a mall after black Friday, I can't stay in it for more than ten minutes. It doesn't take me long to feel hot and very anxious because people act weird during that time of year too.  As if shopping is a passive aggressive battlefield with people nudging and pushing themselves around you to get whatever it is they are looking to buy.

It felt similar to that in the ballroom tonight.  I was getting anxious and irritated by all the bumping and pushing forward.  Finally though, the concert started and we realized just how close we were and it was amazing.   Then after about three songs these two girls forced their way directly in front of me.  Seriously, her hair kept brushing me in the face.  Everyone around us was really upset and even the woman next to me scolded them telling them how rude they were to do that.  They gave some kind of "oh well we were much closer but we had to go to the bathroom and this is just how it is at concerts."  I was quietly seething but I didn't say anything despite the woman next to me telling me to stand up to them.

Of course, then my most wonderful husband took charge.  He is so great at that.  After the song ended, he pushed his way through them saying, "oh, what's that over there" the same way they did and pushed me ahead of them.   They ended up stuck behind us and everyone around us was really happy about it but me especially.  The guy next to us said that he thought Dave was amazing and later on in the night when he saw it happen again with two different girls said something.  After they left, he looked at Dave and said, "you're my role model, man."  Dave told me later that the woman who stood up for me gave him a "good for you" pat on the shoulder.

No one though was happier and prouder of him than me.  There are many reasons why I fell in love with him but tonight was the perfect reminder of one of first pieces of him that I loved.  He's not afraid to stand up for us and for himself to get what he/we wants and he deserves.   It's also great because he does it with me too because I can be a demanding pain in the ass at times and he's not afraid to say, "NO."  He's amazing.  The Goo Goo Dolls were amazing.  The night was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment