Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Elementary writer's block

I can't think of anything to write about tonight.  Actually there a plenty of things to write about but nothing is coming when I sit down and try to formulate thoughts on the subject.  This was bound to happen at some point in this process and somehow I doubt that this will be the last time when I sit down and every thought somehow manages to vanish or be perceived as "not enough to say, "not the right time to discuss this," "too political," "too angry," "no one will know what I'm talking about."  Writing them down now, they are all just excuses.   Ways to discard the immediate thoughts that crop into my mind upon reading a prompt or contemplating a topic.  Wasn't the original purpose of this goal to just write and not worry about the audience?  I'm just supposed to write about whatever, whether it makes sense, offends, sounds disgruntled and angry.

Truth is, it's difficult to write with complete abandon when you know that someone may read it.  I've been doing well with it up until today.  There are times that I may breeze through a couple of prompts and write about the one that just strikes me for the day.  Once I start writing, I just write and I seem to stop thinking.  It's similar to what I'm doing now.  A few moments ago, I laid down next to Dave in utter frustration and said, "I've got absolutely nothing."  He looked up from the book he was reading and said, "All this time and you haven't been writing."  It's true, I gave myself a fifteen minute time limit to write but I seem to give myself unlimited time to determine which prompt I write.

While I laid with my head on his shoulder, I contemplated just not writing anything at all tonight.  As if he was reading my mind he said, "Just do what Frank Herbert does.  He said that he never got writers block.  There were times that he felt like writing and times that he didn't.  During the times that he didn't he just sat and wrote anyway.  He just started writing."  Of course, I had heard this before and in my readings about writing but it thus far hasn't really been necessary.  This whole experience of writing everyday is probably one of the best things I've done for myself in a long time.  I feel such a tremendous sense of accomplish when I finish and I can't actually believe I considered not doing it tonight.   At the time though, it just seemed easier to snuggle up to him, throw the blanket over us and close my eyes forgetting about until tomorrow.

That would have been a terrible mistake though because then I would've just felt completely miserable tomorrow.  Of course, I know it is inevitable that there will be a night at some point this year that I will be unable to write or that I choose not to but I would be really discouraged if it happened so soon.  Not to mention that in my own way I wouldn't be giving myself a chance.   I mean, the first night that finding a topic is more difficult than I expect, I throw in the towel saying, maybe tomorrow.  No, I'm glad I didn't do that.  Just like Dave said they would, the words are coming easily to me now that I'm writing.  I just needed to start and so what if there's nothing specific being written.  At least, I'm writing.   This will not be this last time where writer's block challenges me but then I'll just do something.  Maybe I'll write about why I should be writing again.

It's funny.  After all that thought about what to write, it turns out I wrote exactly what I needed.  And with that, I bid everyone a good evening (or good day as most of you won't see this until tomorrow at the earliest).

1 comment:

  1. Yay! <3 Congratulations on powering through your first writer's block of this project! If you stick to it (like you did!) I've always found that it gets easier.

    After all that thought about what to write, it turns out I wrote exactly what I needed.
    Indeed! <3

    ReplyDelete