Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bar Goodbyes

What an evening! So, if a black cat crosses in front of you and then walks back the other way crossing you in the opposite direction, is that double bad luck or does it negate the initial bad luck?  I'm really hoping the latter.  I have to wake up and be at work for 7am tomorrow and it's already 1; it would be terrible luck for me to sleep in.  Because of this sad state of affairs, this will be another post that will be written in fifteen minutes tops.

Back to this evening.  One of my favorite people is moving to Phoenix, Arizona and she threw herself a going away party tonight.  Although I am happy for her, there's that selfish part of me that feels sad that she is leaving as we are all just beginning to become closer since the college first separated us.  However, if there is anyone who can pick up and leave, it's her.  She is one of the most friendly people and she gets along with quite literally everyone she meets and is always the life of every party.  I really hope that she will be able to make it back in October for the wedding because she will definitely be missed.

She is also one of the only people that would ever get me to go to a Haverhill bar.   Jamie and I went together and the combination of the large sum of alcohol in her system and her happiness to see us, she began crying right when she saw us.  It felt really awesome even if it was the result of a bit too much alcohol.  She never thought that we would show we are not exactly what you would call "bar people."  However, when she said she was going away she didn't say when and for all I knew she was leaving tomorrow morning and there was no way I was going to let her go without giving her a proper goodbye.

The bar is an extremely popular one in my hometown and this was the first time I've never stepped into it.   As I said earlier, I'm not really a bar person.  It's not that I have anything against them.  More that if given the choice to meet and drink at someone's apartment or in a bar, I'd choose the apartment.   I just find that the vibe tends to be better.  If we want to sit down and talk for a while, we can do that.   If we decide to blare the music ridiculously loud, get totally drunk, and take turns singing along to a karaoke tune that's fine too.  This bar, like some of the others I've gone to, was very loud and very difficult to speak with anyone.  

However, it was a very entertaining experience nonetheless.  While I was there, I realized that I was missing out on a large aspect of my generation's subculture.  I hate the feeling of missing out on anything and it kind of makes me want to visit more, though probably not in Haverhill.  I love Haverhill and I love the people but there's a reason so many people look upon their high school reunions with hesitancy.  For me, I'd prefer to go to a bar in Boston where the odds of running into someone who remembers me as that awkward theater girl from high school are lower.

Tonight turned out to be a really good time.  Walking into it, I felt really nervous but watching drunk people sing along to the most random songs in the universe helped make me more comfortable.  Thank goodness Jamie was with me though because it was not quite my scene (especially as I couldn't get drunk along with everyone else).  We had a great time laughing, so much so that I walked out feeling super snobby.  But I suppose I wouldn't fault anyone for laughing at my drunken songs of soul like, "Who let the dogs out?" and "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" interspersed between heartfelt country ballads and rap songs from the late nineties.  It was very surreal but incredibly funny.  In the end, my first trip at OGs at the old age of twenty six was a lot of fun and certainly will be remembered.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about you, but 90% of my laughter was because I literally could not talk loud enough to even hear myself over the music. That, and I felt incredibly awkward. I could see you doing the bar thing in Boston, but I doubt that I will ever be super comfortable in that sort of situation.

    That and "Who Let The Dogs Out" was awesome and hilarious. :D

    ReplyDelete