Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Making progress means making decisions

Dave and I met two DJs tonight and they were both super nice!  We now have a difficult decision to make and honestly, I'm really not sure which one to pick.   One of them we met way back at a bridal convention and he was great then.  Both Dave and I were really interested in him as our DJ at that time and after we met him tonight it was very clear that he has the experience, the energy, the charisma, and the knowledge to meet all of our expectations.  He mentioned that he used to play in a lot of clubs with Kiss108 and Jam'n 94.5 (two of the most well known local pop and hip hop stations) back in the 90s and although I want there to be lots of fun and dancing at our wedding, I don't want it to feel like we're in a club.  Dave doesn't think it would be all that big of a deal if we just mention our concerns and he's probably right.   In addition, during our meeting I didn't feel like he got to know us that well but I know that if we choose him we'll be able to really explain what we're looking for.  Finally, the biggest downside to him is his cost. It's very clear he has what it takes to be an incredible DJ so his cost makes sense but it is pushing our budget a bit more than we'd like.

The second DJ we met seemed more laid back.  Though I would never say it to him, he's been in the business since I was a less than a year old so he doesn't lack experience either.  When we arrived at his fire station (where he was working tonight) he didn't really try to sell himself as the "right" DJ for us which is something I always respect.  However, Dave did have to prompt him with many more questions for us to really get a sense of his abilities and there's that small part of me that can't help but wonder if that's something we will have to continue to do as we work with him.  It wasn't long after that he began asking us about some of our thoughts on what we are looking for as far as our ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, and reception go.  To be honest, Dave and I have yet to really define what we're looking for exactly so he threw out a bunch of different ideas that we hadn't thought about before which is something I really appreciated.  The biggest plus for him is that his cost is vastly cheaper; the biggest setback is that we really haven't seen him in action.  I mean, we don't want someone who is entirely subdued; we want to hear the energy in his voice and his presence.

So I feel like we're still struggling a bit with our decision.  At the moment, I think I'm leaning more toward the second DJ and Dave more toward the first.  I think what we are looking for is someone who knows how to read the crowd and get them dancing without resorting to too many wild gimmicks while at the same time is willing to come out on the dance floor and have a good time with us too.  We know that the first DJ can definitely provide that and it seems like second one could too but we're just not sure.  So what we decided tonight that it would behoove us to ask for some more information.  Really, we are hoping that there might be some more footage of the second DJ in action to see if he has what we're looking for and go from there.  For now though I think that it will be good to sleep on it.   I'm a big proponent for "sleeping" on decisions.  I find that somehow a good night's rest and morning's light always seem to help evaluate any choice presented the night prior.

No comments:

Post a Comment